Thin, crispy, chewy, sweet, spicy. That’s how I’d describe these old fashioned oatmeal cookies. They’re pretty much everything you’d expect from a plain oatmeal cookie!
When it comes to baking cookies, it’s really easy for me to get wrapped up in adding things to them to make them fancier or more decadent, but we can’t forget about all of the old-time favorites, like these old fashioned oatmeal cookies for example!
This recipe for old fashioned oatmeal cookies has been around for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t trully appreicate it until recently. I bake so many cookies every week that I had forgotten how much I really love plain Jane oatmeal cookies. No chocolate, no raisins, no nuts. Just butter, flour, spices, and oats (okay, yes, there are a few more ingredients, but not many).
That’s probably what I love most about this recipe; it’s simple, no-frills. But the flavor from the spices and the hearty texture of the oats kept me coming back to the cookie jar, cookie after cookie. They are so good!
What’s so good about plain old fashioned oatmeal cookies?
- Without anything to distract you, you can fully enjoy the buttery-ness of the cookie and the warm spicy flavor.
- They’re quick and easy to make; all you need is a bowl, a spoon, and 2 cookie sheets.
- The ingredient list is so simple, so you’ll probably have them on-hand all the time.
- Since they’re plain, you could easily drizzle them with a powdered sugar glaze or make oatmeal cookie sandwiches with them. I have a great cookie frosting recipe here.
Now, let’s talk about the cookies, shall we? As they bake, the cookies start to flatten out, which gives them their thin and chewy texture. But as they cool off, the edges will become slightly crispy. It’s perfection. The centers of the cookie will remain soft. The cookies have a glorious texture from the oats and a warm brown color from the spices. The cookies are sweet, but not overly so. They’re the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, really.
When you’ve got a taste for a delicious classic cookie, you’ll definitely want to try these thin and chewy old fashioned oatmeal cookies.
Try these other oatmeal cookie recipes too
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS rolled oats (not quick cooking oats)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda sea salt, and spices until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and stir.
- Add dry ingredients, half and a time and stir until just combined.
- Fold in oats.
- Using a 1.5 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.