In a world of ever-evolving culinary trends, I find there’s something undeniably comforting about old-fashioned recipes that have stood the test of time. One of these classic is this humble old-fashioned beef and noodles.
This is home-cooked comfort food at its finest, and if you ask me, the thing that makes it truly special is its simplicity. It. Is. So. Simple.
The Magic of Simplicity
Old-fashioned beef and noodles is a prime example of the magic that can happen when you keep things simple. This dish relies on basic ingredients that most of us have in our kitchens at all times, making it an accessible choice for busy weeknights or perfect for when you’re just craving some down-home comfort food.
To whip up this comforting meal, you’ll need ground beef, wide egg noodles, beef broth, onions, garlic, and a few seasonings. That’s it. No fancy ingredients, no complicated techniques—just honest, hearty food.
Quick and Easy
One of the most compelling reasons why this recipe is the best is its quick and easy preparation. In a world where we often find ourselves short on time, having a go-to recipe that’s both delicious and efficient is a real lifesaver.
Here’s how it’s done in just 5 easy steps:
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet, breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks. This step takes only a few minutes.
- Add chopped onions and garlic to infuse the dish with flavor and aroma. Again, this takes just a few minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and seasonings and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Once the sauce thickens, stir in the cooked (and drained) egg noodles.
- And voilà! Your hearty, homey old-fashioned beef and noodles are ready to be savored.
Minimal Ingredients, Maximum Flavor
Though this recipe may have minimal ingredients, it certainly doesn’t lack in flavor. The secret lies in allowing the ingredients to meld together as they simmer, resulting in a deliciously rich and savory broth.
The hamburger meat plays a dual role here, providing both flavor and protein. It also infuses the broth with a rich, meaty taste while also adding heartiness to the dish. The wide egg noodles soak up all the savory goodness, creating a harmonious union of flavors and textures. It’s really glorius.
Leave the fat in the pan after cooking the beef, unless you’re not using lean ground beef – then drain off all but 1-2 tablespoons. The fat adds a rich flavor to the sauce.
Of course, you can always customize this recipe to suit your taste too. Experiment with different seasonings, herbs, or vegetables to really make it your own.
Try substituting the Soy sauce for the Worcestershire, adding mushrooms or green pepper, stirring in heavy cream or cream cheese for a creamier texture, and of course, you could add cheese to the top.
Garnish each bowl with fresh chopped parsley for brightness and color.
Old-fashioned beef and noodles is a timeless comfort food that stands out for its quick and easy preparation, convenience, and the incredible flavor it delivers with minimal ingredients.
It’s the kind of dish that warms your heart and satisfies your taste buds, making it the best choice for those moments when you crave a taste of home. So, the next time you’re in need of some comfort food therapy, give this classic recipe a try—it’s a true culinary treasure.
You’ll love these other easy dinner ideas
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- One-pan Roasted Chicken and Veggies
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
Old-Fashioned Beef and Noodles
- 3 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 tsp minced garlic (or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped)
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- In a medium size pot, boil water and a pinch of salt. Cook egg noodles according to the package directions.3 cups egg noodles
- In a large frying pan, over medium to medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion until fully cooked. Leave the fat in the pan.1 lb ground beef, 1 medium yellow onion
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.3 tsp minced garlic, 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- Sprinkle flour over beef mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.1/4 cup flour
- Pour in beef broth and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the flour is dissolved and sauce thickens. If it's too thick, add a little beef broth to thin it out.2 cups beef broth
- Add cooked (and drained) egg noodles to beef mixture and stir. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- Beef and noodles will keep in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge.