Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for your support!
These cookies are the best chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ever! They’re thin, a little spicy, and absolutely loaded with chocolate chips!
Since school is officially out for summer and the temperatures here in Arizona are skyrocketing into the triple digits (oh yay!), we’ve been spending a lot of time inside, at home. And since I’ve been home a lot, I’ve been baking a lot! So, I’ve got another scrumptious cookie recipe for you today. Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
I’m going to tell you something though, honestly; I haven’t always been a huge fan of oatmeal cookies. In fact, when I was little, I avoided them at all costs. I thought they were gross, but I’m not really sure why – the fact that a lot of them have raisins in them, maybe? I didn’t love raisins…
But once I got over it and actually ate an oatmeal cookie, I was in love! …I headed straight for the kitchen to whip up my own unique oatmeal cookie.
This recipe is dear to my heart. There are so, so many great things about it; they truly are the best chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
As with most of my cookie recipes, you can make these cookies in one pretty good size bowl, which really cuts down on the mess factor. And this recipe makes about 2-1/2 dozen cookies, which is enough, but not too many, but it can also be easily doubled if you need more cookies.
And the cookies! The cookies are oatmeal cookie perfection; thin and chewy with a nice pop of flavor from the chocolate and the molasses, and then there’s a hint of spice from the cinnamon. YUM! The cookie edges turn slightly brown while they’re baking and cool off to be perfectly crispy, but the cookies are soft and chewy in the center. They. Are. Glorious.
Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies shopping list:
- Unsalted butter.
- Granulated sugar.
- Golden brown sugar.
- White unbleached flour.
- Baking soda.
- Fine ground sea salt.
- Ground cinnamon.
- Vanilla extract.
- Rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats).
- Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (whichever you prefer; I used semi-sweet).
Things to remember when baking these chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies:
- Always cream the butter and the sugars fully first; then add the rest of the ingredients in order.
- You can substitute raisins, walnuts, or cherries for the chocolate chips if you’d like to or just add them in addition to the chocolate chips, because why not?
- The cookies bake up the best when they are baked on a completely cool cookie sheet. If the baking sheet is still warm, the cookies start to melt before they make it into the oven and this can cause them to spread more.
- After baking, the cookies need to sit on the pan for at least 5 minutes before you try to move them or they might break.
- The cookies themselves freeze great, but I wouldn’t recommend freezing the dough; the consistency changes.
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in baking soda, sea salt, and cornstarch and mix fully.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and molasses and stir.
- Add cinnamon and stir.
- Add flour and stir to combine.
- Fold in rolled oats.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a 1.5 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Let cookies cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze.
If you love oatmeal cookies, I’ve got few other good ones for you! These classic oatmeal cookies with raisins are the bomb and these oatmeal walnut cookies are so good, I make them every Christmas! And don’t let me forget these huge monster cookies, which have oatmeal in them (so that totally counts!). See, I told you – I’m hooked on oatmeal cookies! You’ll definitely want to try them all!
Kristine is a self-taught cookie baker and photographer. She's passionate about finding time for everything and making baking, crafting and homemaking simple. More...
These look great and love the idea of a bit of molasses and spice in there too. Handy tips.
Thanks so much Caroline! I appreciate it. ☺️
I can’t wait to make these! I am cookie obsessed so these sound just perfect!
Haha Jessica, I am totally cookie obsessed! I hope you love them!
Totally making these. They look absolutely gorgeous, I know they will taste amazing because I love oats.
Thank you so much Chichi! I love the texture oats give a cookie, and then when you add some chocolate – MMM! Hope you enjoy them. ?
Chewy cookies are the BEST and your version looks absolutely deeeeeelish! ?
I couldn’t agree more, Chris! Chewy cookies are my LIFE! Thank you so much!
Love the fact that you can freeze these cookies! Thanks for the info!
Thanks Julia! Me too, makes them a super convenient treat, especially if you need to make them ahead of time!
These look fantastic! I love the addition of molasses. Chewy cookies are the best!
Thanks so much Allison! Me too, it gives the cookies just a hint of spice – making them all the better! ?
What a great idea to freeze them so you’re not tempted to eat all of them in one sitting, haha!
Exactly Demeter! It’s like portion control…for cookies! #ihaveaproblem LOL!
Oh my gosh these look beautiful. Everybody’s favorite and I love the molasses in there.
Thank you so much, Ginny!
My whole clan loves oatmeal and I make cookies once a month I have never had them with molasses and I know that is a fabulous flavor. I must try these and will let you know how they like this new recipe here!
Mine too Claudia! We can’t get enough. Yes let me know – I hope you love them!
I’m pretty sure I could eat an entire pan of these! Love the trick to freeze, too!
LOL! I’m right there with you Nicole! #cantstopwontstop ❤️?
Yum! I really wanna eat the entire plate of those cookies!
Haha, you and me both Remya! C’mon over, I’ve always got cookies! ?
Cookies look great.
Thanks Jack, I appreciate you stopping by to leave a comment!