Is there anything more delightful than a soft, warm, chocolatey Texas sheet cake? No, I don’t think so either! And even better, this small-batch recipe makes only a quarter of a sheet cake!
I am going to be honest with you here. I hardly ever make Texas sheet cake. I just don’t. It’s not because I don’t like it either, because I LOVE it, but it’s kind of a difficult recipe for a weekday (which is usually when I have a chocolate attack) and it makes SO MUCH DARN CAKE (that I DO NOT want sitting around because I usually eat it all)! You feel me, right?
So, I figured the only way I’d ever make Texas sheet cake on a semi-regular basis was to a) simplify the recipe instructions and b) figure out how to make less cake (much, much less)! After a few trials with my favorite recipe, I had a winner! I now have a recipe that takes only about 30 minutes, one bowl (and a measuring cup) and makes only a quarter of a sheet cake!
While I was at it, I made a few other adjustments to the recipe that I felt were important. Like I usually do, I baked the cake with white whole wheat flour instead of white unbleached flour, which is my favorite way to make my recipes a little teeny bit healthier. I also took out nearly half of the sugar. Yes, I really did. Half. I’ve been trying to cut down on the amount of refined sugar in some of my favorite recipes to see if we even miss it, and guess what – we don’t!
If you’re a Texas sheet cake connoisseur though, you might notice this particular cake is less sweet than some other recipes out there. But let me assure you, it’s not lacking in rich chocolate flavor one bit and you truly won’t miss the sugar (if you feel like you need to try the full sugar version though, just increase the sugar from 1/2 cup to 1 cup).
The cake itself is super soft and moist and because (like with most Texas sheet cakes) you frost it when it’s warm, the chocolate frosting/glaze soaks into the top of the cake, sealing in the moisture and creating a delicious chocolate goo layer on top (yes, that’s my official terminology for it LOL). It is pure deliciousness!
I also want to add that the instructions state to make the frosting on the stovetop (which I normally do), but on occasion, I have melted the butter in a glass bowl in the microwave and whisked in the remaining ingredients until smooth and it worked perfectly as well.
I somehow felt like the microwave method saved me time because I reused the bowl that I made the cake in, so there was no extra pan to wash (hey, it’s the small things, right?), so keep that in mind when you make this (because I know you will!).
And don’t forget to check out how easy it is to make your own homemade buttermilk for this recipe!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (may substitute white unbleached flour)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- 6 TBS unsalted butter
- 3 TBS cocoa powder
- 3 TBS buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Lightly spray a quarter sheet pan with oil and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a 2 cup (or more) measuring cup, whisk together melted butter, egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and water.
- Add wet ingredients to try and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared quarter sheet pan.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While the cake is baking, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, buttermilk, and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately pour frosting evenly over cake and let cool for at least 30 minutes prior to serving.
Organic ingredients are recommended.
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Ready for a freebie?
Let's get organized! Share your email and receive a free daily planning page printable to help design your days!