At our house, Mad eats oatmeal every day of the week, including weekends. She can’t get enough! And one of our favorite ways to have oatmeal is by making overnight oats. Truthfully, it’s because it’s super easy for me. Ha! I can prepare it after dinner and it’s ready to go at breakfast time. Score!
I tend to use the same basic recipe every day and then add something different to change things up a little bit. Mad’s favorites are fresh strawberries or sliced apples with cinnamon. I personally love adding raspberries and sliced almonds (as pictured above)! If I have some on-hand too, I usually splash a little half-and-half over the top just before serving. I find it makes it a bit more creamy and delicious.
Just a little warning though, if you plan to add bananas, make sure to do when you want to eat it and not when you’re mixing it up. The bananas can get, um, brown and yucky if you let them sit too long (we learned that lesson the hard way).
Vanilla Overnight OatsPrint
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 TBS 100% maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chopped fresh fruit
- Pecans or walnuts
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar (or other airtight container) and shake well.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Eat cold or warm slightly in the microwave for 60 seconds. Enjoy!
Try my second favorite breakfast, everyday granola!