Brunch around this house means this delicious and super easy sausage and green chili egg puff! You can even make it the night before and then throw it in the oven an hour before brunch time!
I hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend and that you’re getting back into the swing of things this week. I’m certainly trying!
We spent Easter Sunday brunching and lounging around in the backyard with the fam. It was our first official get-together since we got the yard all landscaped and it was perfect. The weather was warm, my roses are in bloom, the food was incredible, and I got to hold my precious 5 week old nephew forever! It was a beautiful day.
…And speaking of brunch, I made this sausage and green chili egg puff yesterday and I have to share my recipe with you! It’s probably the best egg puff/egg casserole I have ever made…or eaten and it’s so easy. It truly is!
Things that make this sausage and green chili egg puff recipe the best:
- You can make the whole thing in one pan and one large bowl, so there’s not much mess.
- You can make the egg puff the night before and keep it in the refrigerator to save you time in the morning.
- You make the egg puff over the weekend, slice it, and freeze individual pieces for a quick weekday breakfast.
- You can pour the mixture into muffin pans instead of a large casserole dish and make ‘egg muffins’ for individual servings.
This recipe actually came down to me from my mom. And I remember eating it at her brunches when I was a kid. I even looked forward to it! I made a few simple changes to it, using white whole wheat flour and adding some sausage and onion to put my own fingerprint on it, but it has always been a fool-proof and completely delicious addition to brunch.
I personally love the little zing from the green chili and the combo of the egg and the sausage together are perfect for breakfast time! I’ve been fortunate this year, in that I’ve already hosted two brunches and guess what I served at both of them? Yep! This sausage and green chili egg puff. It gets rave reviews every time I serve it!
Sausage and Green Chili Egg Puff
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 16 ounce carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 pound shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 can chopped green chilis
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Herbs De Provence (may substitute Italian seasoning)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and garlic and cook thoroughly until crumbly, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat eggs until light and lemon-colored.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, cottage cheese, melted butter, and monterey jack cheese and blend until smooth.
- Fold in green chilis, cooked sausage, and onions.
- Pour mixture into a well greased 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for one hour (will puff up) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.