Sausage egg roll in a bowl is a flavorful and convenient one-pan meal that combines the savory goodness of ground sausage with a colorful blend of tricolored coleslaw.
Seasoned with ginger and garlic, then lightly tossed in soy sauce, this simple meal is full of textures and flavors, and the best part is, it’s ready to eat in 20 minutes flat.
Ingredients You’ll Beed to Make This Dish
- 1 pound of ground sausage (you can choose mild or spicy, depending on your preference)
- 8 cups of tricolored coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 3 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Green onions, chopped, for topping
What you’ll love about this recipe
Now, Let’s Walk Through the Cooking Process
- Sauté the Sausage: Begin by heating a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ground sausage and break it apart with a spatula as it cooks. Cook the sausage until it’s browned and fully cooked, ensuring it’s crumbled into bite-sized pieces.
- Seasoning: Once the sausage is cooked through, add the ground ginger and garlic powder to the skillet. Stir them in, letting their aromatic flavors infuse the sausage.
- Coleslaw Mix: Add the 8 cups of tricolored coleslaw mix to the skillet. Stir and toss the mixture until the coleslaw wilts and becomes tender, which should take just a few minutes.
- Soy Sauce: Pour the 3 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce over the mixture. Continue to cook and stir, allowing the soy sauce to evenly coat the ingredients and enhance the flavors.
- Serve & Garnish: Once everything is heated through and well combined, it’s ready to serve. Scoop into serving dishes and top it with chopped green onions for a burst of color and freshness.
You can adjust the amount of cabbage up or down, depending on your preferences. For a meatier bowl, use 7 cups of cabbage. For more more texture, use the full 8 or even 9 cups of cabbage. As with a lot of greens, the cabbage cooks down significantly.
What to Serve with Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Rice: You can serve this dish over a bed of steamed white or brown rice if you need a more substantial meal or want to make the sausage and cabbage go further.
- Crispy Noodles: Add a crunchy element to your meal by serving it with crispy chow mein or wonton noodles. These can be sprinkled on top or served on the side for some extra texture.
- Stir-Fried Vegetables: Pair your Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl with a side of stir-fried vegetables, such as broccoli, snap peas, or bok choy, for a well-rounded and wholesome meal.
This sausage egg roll in a bowl makes a GREAT meal prep lunch. Just portion it out equally into 4 meal prep containers and add 1/2 cup of brown rice. Lunch done!
Whether you’re busy working all day, or just get a late start on dinner (me), this super simple sausage egg roll in a bowl is a delicious, no-fuss meal that’s ready to eat in no time at all (and all in one pan – woo!).
With its yummy Asian-inspired flavors and incredibly easy preparation, it’s the perfect solution for those times you need to get a homemade meal on the table quickly. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound sausage (ground, mild or spicy)
- 8 cups tricolored coleslaw mix
- 3 TBS soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 2 tsp ginger (ground)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Green onion (chopped, for topping)
- Cook the sausage in a large frying pan over medium heat, breaking it up as needed until brown and fully-cooked.1 pound sausage
- Stir in the ginger and garlic powder and cook for another minute until fragrant and well combined.2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Add the coleslaw and mix it into the sausage evenly.8 cups tricolored coleslaw mix
- Pour in the soy sauce and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cabbage softens.3 TBS soy sauce
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped green onion on top and enjoy!Green onion
- Egg roll in a bowl will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container.