When you need a quick recipe that you can count on for your fall baking, these easy pumpkin muffins are just that! You’re going to love how simple these are. With only four ingredients you can whip up soft, spongy, fall flavored muffins in minutes.
Let’s discuss the ingredients
- One box of spice cake mix
- One can of pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Brown sugar
And drumroll please…that’s it!
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED
This post contains links to affiliate websites and we make a small commission for any purchases made using these links. As always, we appreciate your support.
Canned pumpkin or fresh?
When it comes to baking with homemade pumpkin puree, I’ve found I prefer canned pumpkin for a couple of reasons.
One, the color is much different. Homemade pumpkin puree is pale and light colored. Whereas canned pumpkin is a rich dark orange. Baked goods made with homemade pumpkin puree tend to be less visually appealing than those made with canned pumpkin.
And two, the flavor of homemade pumpkin puree is much more mild and can be coarser or more fibrous than canned pumpkin, which is smooth and a little sweeter, making it perfect for baking.
But don’t worry, there’s still a place for homemade pumpkin puree, like in this creamy pumpkin soup for example. If you haven’t made your own pumpkin puree at least once, you should try it, it’ll put you in the mood for fall – guaranteed. It’s simple too, here’s how to do it.
Making these easy pumpkin muffins
- Using a large bowl and a spoon, stir the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
- Scoop the batter into lined muffin cups.
- Top with brown sugar (optional, but why wouldn’t you?)
- Bake for 20-ish minutes.
- Cool and thoroughly enjoy!
About the muffins
When you first pull these pumpkin muffins out of the oven, you’ll notice the warm, comforting, and spicy smell. It. Is. Fall. There’s nothing like it, honestly, make sure to breathe it all in.
The muffins have a light, spongy texture with lots, and lots of flavor. Between the spice cake, the pumpkin pie spice, and the sweetness of the brown sugar on top, these muffins will definitely wake up your tastebuds.
Oh! And the muffin tops are heavenly too; they’re slightly crunchy from the melting of the brown sugar and from browning a bit while baking. Muffin top lovers, this is THE best part!
Questions about this recipe
I told you, you’d love how easy this recipe is. If you have a question, drop it below. Now let’s get baking and celebrate fall in the yummiest way!
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 cup brown sugar ((for topping))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl combine spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice. Stir until well combined and smooth.1 box spice cake mix, 1 can pumpkin puree, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Spoon fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Do not over-bake.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in a slightly ventilated container for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.