These sugar cookies make for perfect easy Halloween cookies! All you need are 30 minutes and some black and orange sprinkles or some colored sugar for sprinkling (I suggest colored sugar, keep reading to see why)!
The girls are just starting their 2 week long fall break and I cannot believe it’s October already. We are going to be busy running errands and doing all sorts of things around the house during the next 2 weeks. Mad and I have made a list of things we want to bake too. I love it; she’s really turned into quite the baker!
We’ve already baked several batches of cookies and a giant loaf of banana bread in the past few weeks! When I asked Mad to pick her favorite recipe we’ve baked lately, she chose these easy Halloween cookies!
I can’t say that I blame her! Don’t tell anyone, but this is actually my very favorite recipe for sugar cookies. They taste amazing, but they’re so super duper simple! The cookies are warm, and sweet, and buttery with a perfectly crispy edge. I’m serious, these cookies are to-die-for!
Oh and guess what? There’s no rolling or cookie cutters required for this recipe! Just mix (all one on bowl too!), scoop, sprinkle, and bake!
This is a great recipe to do with kids; I put Mad in charge of the stirring and I just added the ingredients in the correct order. Then we scooped them out together and she handled the sprinkles.
Since we didn’t flatten the cookies, these little sprinkle balls were rolling everywhere – maybe keep that in mind when you’re selecting your sprinkles. Might I suggest a colored sugar instead? I’m still sweeping up black and orange balls from the kitchen floor…days later! Haha!
From start to finish, we whipped up these easy halloween cookies in just under 30 minutes (minus cooling time), so they would be perfect for anytime you need homemade cookies and you’re running short on time! We made our cookies 1 TBS size and ended up with 24, but if you used a bigger scoop (say 3 TBS), you could make about 16 really big cookies!
These easy Halloween cookies could very easily become easy Christmas cookies, easy Valentine’s Day cookies, easy 4th of July cookies…see where I’m going with it? You’ll love them, trust us!
Easy Halloween Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- Sprinkles or colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in baking soda, cream of tartar, and sea salt.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, half at a time and mix well. Do not over-mix.
- Using a 1 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the tops of each cookie with sprinkles.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating halfway through until just barely brown around the edges.
- Let cookies cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze.