so let me just go on record and say that i am an oatmeal cookie lover! i know that not every one is, but maybe that’s because they’ve not had these oatmeal walnut cookies! just sayin’.
as a kid i felt that oatmeal cookies (particularly oatmeal raisin, which were a cruel joke because they tricked you into thinking they’re chocolate chip) were for old people. i suppose that’s because old folks were the only ones I ever saw eating them! no self-respecting kid would run to the table and intentionally grab oatmeal raisin, am i right? and if you did grab one, when you bit into it, you wanted to cry out in disappointment. and of course, you had to eat it anyway because you bit it. oh, the trials of childhood.
however, as an adult, i’ve come full-circle with oatmeal cookies (hence the comment ‘oatmeal raisin cookies are for old people’). i’m old and i now love all varieties of oatmeal cookies, including raisin; the subtle warm spices and the hearty texture from the oats, mmm! then you add in the sweetness of raisins and the crunch from walnuts and it’s like warm chewy heaven!
trust me, they’re perfect at christmas, even though they are a non-traditional christmas cookie!
Oatmeal Walnut CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 TBS white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 TBS molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, up to 1 tsp as desired
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (substitute 1/4 cup walnuts for 1/2 cup raisins if desired)
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla, and molasses and mix well.
- Stir in baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add flour and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in oats.
- Fold in walnuts (and/or raisins).
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
To bake cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon dough and roll into balls. Place balls on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through, until barely browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
see these and tons of other delightful christmas cookies on my christmas cookie board on pinterest!