When we want dessert, we want it now, so this anytime apple crisp is the perfect weeknight treat!
It’s 6:45 p.m. Dinner has been cooked, served, and put away. The kitchen is quiet…briefly. And then, under the cover of darkness, one-by-one, each member of this family will wander in and visit the fridge and/or the pantry in search of a treat…a little something sweet to finish off the day.
And they find…big fat nothing. the rooting around continues.
Mom to the rescue!
On these nights, when we
need want some dessert, I whip up either this anytime apple crisp or a half-batch of my chocolate chip cookies depending on which one I have all of the ingredients for. I’m usually short either the apples or the chocolate chips, ha!
Okay, so, let me tell you a little about this anytime apple crisp. First of all, you can make it one bowl and the baking dish, which is super awesome and makes cleanup a breeze. But the thing I like the most is that it’s made with all decent ingredients (even better than the cookies!). In half an hour, one bowl, and one dish, you can have a warm, comforting dessert that isn’t loaded with preservatives or sugar!
Sometimes I go all out and make homemade ice-cream for the top, but it’s not really necessary, trust me. It’s plenty good all by itself! Summer or winter, this is an dessert that never, ever disappoints!
Anytime Apple CrispPrint
for the filling
- 2 large apples (Gala or Honey Crisp are our favorites)
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 1 TBS fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 TBS honey or 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
for the topping
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 TBS melted butter
- 2 TBS honey or 100% maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice and core the apples and cut into chunks. I don't peel mine, but if you don't like the skin, peel them first.
- In a medium size bowl add the apples, melted butter, lemon juice, honey, and spices. Toss to coat apples well.
- Pour filling into a prepared 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- In a medium size bowl add oats, flour, walnuts, salt, melted butter, and honey and mix until crumbly.
- Spoon topping evenly over apple filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Cool slightly, top with homemade vanilla ice-cream and enjoy!