I’ve been on a muffin kick lately. And to be 100% honest, I’m not the best muffin baker, so I really have to work at it. But when I set my mind to making a new muffin, I’ll keep trying until I get it right. And I did it. I’ve got a delightful new muffin to share with you today, my small-batch chocolate chip muffins.
These muffins are the stuff of dreams – they’re moist, tender, and packed with chocolatey goodness. What’s more, they’re incredibly simple to whip up and this recipe only makes 6 muffins, so you don’t have to worry about having too many leftover.
This post contains links to affiliate websites and we make a small commission for any purchases made using these links. As always, we appreciate your support.
The Magic of Greek Yogurt
You might be wondering, what’s the secret behind these muffins exactly? Well my friends, I’ll tell you – it’s all about the Greek yogurt. This thick, tangy ingredient works wonders in baking, making muffins irresistibly moist and tender. Not to mention, it adds a subtle tang that perfectly balances with the sweetness of the chocolate chips. It’s just really, really good.
Do you love this post?
Share it on Pinterest
Let’s Start With What You’ll Need to Make These Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Now for the (Simple) Process
- Preheat and Prep: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease it lightly to prevent sticking.
- Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. This step ensures your dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, combine the melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Once those are mixed well, fold in the Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt gives the muffins a wonderfully moist crumb while the butter adds rich flavor.
- Mix and Fold: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and gently fold them together until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix; a few lumps are perfectly fine.
- Chocolatey Bliss: Now comes the best part – fold in those chocolate chips. You can use semi-sweet, dark, or milk chocolate chips, depending on your preference. Feel free to add a little extra if you’re a chocoholic.
- Fill and Bake: Using an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop, fill each muffin cup nearly to the top with the batter. This recipe should yield 6 delightful muffins. Pop them into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool and Enjoy: Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the tin for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely – or at least until you can’t resist the temptation any longer.
Keep a close eye on these muffins towards the end of baking. They’re easy to over-bake and can get too brown on the top. Muffins are done when the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Why These Muffins Are so, so Good
- Moistness: Thanks to the Greek yogurt, these muffins are incredibly moist and stay that way for days.
- Balanced Sweetness: The muffins themselves aren’t that sweet, but with the addition of the chocolate chips, they’re perfect. The balance between the sweet chocolate chips and the slightly tangy yogurt is also heavenly.
- Quick and Easy: With just a handful of simple ingredients and minimal prep, you can whip up a batch in just minutes.
- Perfect Portion Control: This small-batch recipe is ideal for those moments when you crave something sweet but don’t want to commit to a full batch of muffins (that you’ll single-handedly eat every single one of…oh, wait – that’s me).
Questions About This Recipe
These small-batch chocolate chip muffins are a yummy little treat you can enjoy any time you have a craving for chocolate. They’re simple to make, utterly moist, and the perfect balance of flavors. And of course, you’ll only end up with 6 muffins. Honestly, what’s not to love?
Small-batch Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup flour (unbleached)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (may substitute sour cream)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini)
- extra sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 6 muffin cups or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter and set aside to cool.1/4 cup butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt.1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Whisk the egg, sugar, and vanilla into the cooled butter until smooth.1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add Greek yogurt and stir until fully incorporate and light colored.1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just a few times.
- Pour in mini chocolate chips and fold in, finishing the mixing of the batter with a rubber spatula. Avoid over-mixing.1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Scoop batter into lined muffin cups, filling almost to the top.
- Sprinkle a little sugar on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Let muffins cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in an airtight container for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.