Let’s be honest, who can resist toasted coconut? Not me! In fact, I love it so much I added it to my chocolate chip cookies to create these brand new chocolate chip coconut cookies!
Every year when springtime rolls around, I feel inspired to make a new treat. And because I’m me, it’s usually a cookie of some sort. Last year, I made sprinkle chocolate chip cookies and they have become a family favorite, but I’ve been trying to branch out and ‘try new things.’
This year I wandered way off the path and into the land of coconut with these thick and chewy chocolate chip coconut cookies and guess what? They were a HUGE hit!
As with the majority of my cookie recipes, these chocolate chip coconut cookies are super simple to make and yes, you still only need one bowl, but…they do have one little tiny additional step – toasting the coconut!
Don’t worry though, it’s also really easy to do and it just adds a few minutes to the total cook time. In fact, the coconut is probably my favorite part of this recipe; it adds an extra crunch and sweetness to these already-tasty chocolate chip cookies!
Tips for perfectly toasted coconut:
- Make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat before spreading out the coconut.
- When you spread out the coconut, make sure it evenly spread and not too thick in any areas.
- Don’t let the edges get too brown. Make sure to stir the coconut during the toasting process to ensure even toasting.
- Let coconut cool completely before adding to the cookie dough.
Once you get these chocolate chip coconut cookies into the oven, you’ll begin to smell the magic of the coconut!
The cookies spread slightly, puff up just a tad, the chocolate chips begin to soften, and the coconut flakes melt into the dough forming the most perfect crispy, chewy, coconut chocolate chip cookie ever! I’m serious, you’ll LOVE these!
Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
To toast the coconut:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Evenly spread the shredded coconut on a lined baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
To make the cookies:
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugars together until smooth.
- Add baking soda and salt.
- Stir in vanilla extract and egg and stir well.
- Add flour, half at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
- Using a 1.5 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating halfway through, until golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container or freeze.