There are a few recipes in my collection that are, what I call, my go-to’s because they’re simple, quality, no-fail recipes that you can do a lot with. This basic sugar cookie recipe is one of those very recipes.
About this cookie dough
This is just a really great basic dough. It’s simple, stable, and made with ingredients most bakers have on-hand at all times. It’s a pale colored sugar cookie dough that’s just sweet enough.
When baked, the cookies come out perfectly plain, making this a great dough for sprinkling with extra sugar, adding a few sprinkles, for frosting with buttercream, or for making ice-cream sandwiches.
The best way to make this basic sugar cookie recipe
- You’ll want to start with room temperature butter. Let it sit out on the counter for an hour or two before making the dough.
- In a large glass bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes until it becomes smooth, light, and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the bowl and continue mixing for another minute, until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients and mix for a minute with the electric mixer. Then, using a rubber spatula continue folding in the flour until it’s evenly mixed, but don’t over-mix the dough.
- Once the dough is made, you can make the cookies or freeze it for baking at a later time.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED
A note about freezing cookie dough
If you freeze the dough, it’s important to let it thaw in the fridge the night before, and then let it come up to room temperature before scooping and baking the cookies.
Ideas for using this basic sugar cookie recipe
Other basic cookie recipes to try
Basic Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted ((room temperature))
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup flour, unbleached
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.1/2 cup butter, unsalted, 3/4 cup sugar
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract and mix for another minute.1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and sea salt together.1½ cup flour, unbleached, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Add flour, half at a time, mixing with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Using a 1.5 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze.