Yep you guessed it. No way is Whole30 going to stop me from having pancakes. Nope, not going to happen! I did have to get creative with this one though, because with no flour and no sweeteners of any kind…well that wouldn’t be much of a pancake now would it?
I have heard the buzz about using sweet potatoes as a replacement in several baking-ish things, like pizza crust and of course, pancakes! So naturally, I had to give sweet potato pancakes a try. Seems simple enough and in fact, it is! And I’ll just tell you right now that these were probably the very best non-pancake-pancakes I’ve ever had!
Let’s talk a little bit about how easy these are to make too. Easy-peasy. You start by microwaving the sweet potato until it gets tender and soft. Let it cool off (enough to handle, anyway) and scoop it into a bowl.
Then you just mash it up really good, add some eggs, vanilla, and spices. Give it a quick run through with the immersion blender (or food processor) until it becomes thin and smooth like pancake batter.
And then you just cook them as you would any other pancake; about 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat. Wa-la. Sweet potato pancakes. You can top them with fruit, or some chopped pecans, or even some 100% maple syrup or honey (I might be insanely jealous of those of you who make these and eat them with syrup. I wanted to real bad. Real bad. Oh…my…yum…).
I know, you’re mind is blown, isn’t it? Mine too, my friend, mine too. Just wait ’til you try them!
Try this Whole 30 one-pan chicken and veggie dinner too!
This post contains links to affiliate websites and we make a small commission for any purchases made using these links. As always, we appreciate your support.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 cooked sweet potato flesh
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Cook sweet potato for 4-5 minutes in the microwave until tender and let cool.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the potato, place in medium size bowl, and mash using the back side of a fork.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Blend with immersion blender until smooth (or use blender/food processor).
- To cook the pancakes: Preheat griddle to medium and melt some ghee (or coconut oil or butter).
- Spoon batter onto the griddle and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from griddle and serve with fresh fruit, chopped pecans, or 100% maple syrup.