This is the grown-up version of traditional grilled cheese, a grilled caprese sandwich!
When it comes to sandwiches, I’m an expert. Okay well maybe not, but in all fairness, I have eaten many-o-sandwiches in my day. When I was little, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every single day (cut into bunny ears, of course) for years – yes years! I just love sandwiches.
I am definitely not the type to have one of those mile high sandwiches or a sandwich loaded with a zillion ingredients though, I’m more of a traditionalist. are you surprised? I’ll answer that for you, no. Ha!
Anyway, as I grew and was exposed to new and different sandwiches, I realized that not only do I love sandwiches, I really love melty, cheesy, gooey grilled sandwiches like this grilled caprese sandwich!
There’s just something comforting about sandwiches in general, but when it’s a warm and crispy sandwich loaded with cheesy goodness like this grilled caprese sandwich, I literally can’t stay away! My mouth was watering as I was trying to get these pictures done because I didn’t want the sandwich to get cold before I could eat it!
Everyone in this house will eat sandwiches, sometimes even for dinner and this grilled caprese sandwich is one that we all love! My favorite part is that I can have a warm fulfilling dinner on the table in like 10 minutes flat! And if I have some chicken (any kind) leftover, I’ll pile it on one for Jay, since he is a mile-high-sandwich kinda guy!
Next time you need a new sandwich or quick and melty dinner, this grilled caprese sandwich is absolutely the answer!
Grilled Caprese SandwichPrint
- 2 slices sprouted whole grain bread
- 1 to mato
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 TBS mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter for cooking
- Slice tomato into 3 slices.
- Slice 2-3 pieces of fresh mozzarella cheese about 1/4 inch thick.
- Chop 3 basil leaves into fine strips.
- Spread 1/2 TBS mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt just enough butter to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the sandwich in the pan, bread (mayonnaise side up), tomato slices, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper, basil, and the top piece of bread (mayonnaise side down).
- Cook slowly over medium to medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes per side until golden and crispy.
- Slice and serve immediately.
And if you’re a peanut butter and jelly person, you’ve got to try this raspberry chia jam!