Can we talk about New Year’s resolutions for a sec? Do you make them? Do you believe in them? Do you hold true to them? I used to do all of the above, but this year I think I’m going a different direction.
Instead of making an official ‘resolution’ for the year; I’m going to choose a word that I can focus on that will help me reach my goals.
Every year around this time, I (much like the rest of humanity) reflect on the previous year and put together a list of intentions to make the coming year better than the last. And while I still believe there’s great value in that, I’m a simple gal; and I think I could accomplish a lot, maybe even more, with just one word.
As I sat in the family room thinking about 2018, the good, the bad, and the ugly, I decided that for me, there was a lot more good than bad, but even still, I could have done better.
What stopped me from reaching the goals I set in January of 2018? With myself? With my businesses? The more I thought about it, it was my inconsistency. Some months I put in a lot of effort with my blog – creating new content and promoting the old, some months not-so-much. Some months I was so busy with photography I couldn’t get the photos edited fast enough, and other months…not a single shoot. I was all over the place and horribly inconsistent with everything.
So this year, my word is…
Yep, that’s right, for 2019 I’m focusing on consistency. With. All. The. Things. In addition to the usual, ‘be better than I was yesterday’ and continual self-improvement growth I go through every year, I am going to…
- Work towards achieving and maintaining a consistent schedule for my blog and for my social media (which I have sorely neglected – sorry guys!).
- Keep a consistent fitness and nutrition schedule (funny how I didn’t struggle with this one much, ha!).
- And I’m going to consistently work on improving and growing as an ‘everything photographer’ and create a cohesive Insta feed.
I hope that by having a single word to define and guide my year, that I won’t feel that sense of failure I often get when I don’t fulfill a resolution and I hope it will also give me some flexibility to change and amend my current goals and intentions as the year progresses (because that always happens to me – things change!).
And speaking of setting goals for the year, I recently read an article that says an important part of goal-setting is to tell people about your goal and to really vocalize it, so I’m putting this out there; telling you right here and now – my word is consistency.
You’ll probably hear me talk about it and post about it often and I hope you’ll encourage me to stick to it!
Have you thought about choosing a word for the year?
Consider this, having a word for the year can help you…
- Focus on the whole year, instead of one specific goal.
- Give you some flexibly when setting/changing goals throughout the year.
- Keep your intentions at the front of your mind. I mean, one word is super easy to remember!
- Make looking back at the year easier. It’s simple, was I more consistent overall? Yes or no?
- Help you set goals with intention.
Sounds pretty good doesn’t it? Do, you want to get in on this one-word action? I’ll help you be accountable, post your word for the year in the comments below and let’s do this together.
Bring on 2019!