Let’s talk about 15 ways to get your happy on, right here and right now.
We’ve all heard that saying, ‘happiness is a choice’ and for the most part, I agree; however, I don’t know that it’s possible to be happy all of the time (though I do try…really hard).
But, life is life and sometimes it’s easier to give in to the negative things that surround us. Even though it happens to all of us at one time or another, we have a choice; we don’t have to stay stuck there. There are some really simple things you can do to find a little (or a lot of) happy, any time you need it!
- Clean out your closet – everyone knows that purging old and unused things is refreshing, so start with your wardrobe, or even just a few things that you know can go. Get it outta there. And for a double whammy in the happiness department, donate it all.
- Let go of comparison – here I go with the sayings again, but this is a good one ‘comparison is the thief of all joy’, so why would you rob yourself of joy by comparing yourself to anyone…other than maybe who you were yesterday? That’s right, just stop.
- Spend time with your BFF – I’m pretty sure it’s a fact that spending time with your bestie or besties increases happiness. Friends are uber important to happiness. Everyone needs their people.
- Get outside – the smell of the fresh air, the feel of the grass, the warm rays of the sun, or even a few raindrops on your head can remind you of how beautiful this world is. Take it all in, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
- Smile at a stranger – this is my favorite one! It’s also a proven fact that smiling at a stranger not only makes you feel good, but it can change their whole day. You read that right, their whole day! So smile at everyone you see – you’ll feel happy and you just might pass that happiness on to someone else.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset – this one speaks for itself. This world is one amazing place and it’s almost impossible not to feel that way when you watch the sun come up or go down. Embrace it. In fact, embrace each and every day.
- Exercise – a little or a lot, just get up and move more than you normally do. Get those endorphins flowing and I promise you’ll feel happier, and chatty, and jittery, and probably slightly spastic (..or maybe that’s just me?). It. Is. Awesome.
- Give someone you love a hug – but not just a quickie. Give ’em a real hug, like 6-7 seconds long. It’s proven to help reduce stress and can actually make you both happier! I try this with Jay every morning, but he usually tries to break free before I can get to 7 seconds. Stinker!
- Turn up the music and dance – oh I lied, this one is my favorite! Loud music and dancing make feeling unhappy nearly impossible. Pretend like no one is watching, or maybe pretend like everyone is – your choice! You’ll not only feel happier, but very alive!
- Be grateful – take a few minutes (everyday) to be grateful for the wonderful people and things that fill your life. It’s incredible how far a little gratitude goes in making your soul happy.
- Take a catnap and don’t feel guilty – yep, just lean back, close those eyes and relax. Taking a few (or 30) minutes for yourself without guilt will rejuvenate you and can change your mood for the rest of the day.
- Do something nice for someone just because (pay it forward) – no wait, this one, yeah this one is my favorite. Surprise someone with a kind gesture or buy lunch for someone behind you in line without expectation. You’d be surprised how many times someone will follow your example. I have a story! I was at Chipotle once (this is true, by the way) and the man ahead of me paid for my veggie bowl without me knowing. I got up to the register and was shocked! I was so thankful that I paid for the guy behind me. And he paid for the lady and her two children behind him, and she paid for the two teens behind her. It stopped there, but I enjoyed my bowl while watching the kindness continue. So cool and so much happiness.
- Eat a cookie and really love it – you knew this one was going to be in there, didn’t you? That’s right, reward yourself with a treat, but not just a scarf-it-down-because-you’re-starving treat, an eat-it-because-you-love-it-and-want-to-savor-it treat. When you stop and think about what you’re eating, you’ll appreciate it a little more and it’s impossible not to smile while eating cookie. Pinky promise!
- Belly laugh (as often as you can) – forget giggling and polite snickers, let that laugh out – so hard you snort if you have to. Surround yourself with people who make you double-over and loose your breath in laughter. Laughter truly is the best medicine, and I’m pretty sure it burns calories too!
- Practice forgiveness, and maybe start with yourself – throw perfection out the window, forgive yourself for your mistakes and flaws, and just work on being your very best you. Forgivenss frees us to live in the present and feel true happiness. It does. Just think about that…