I have another traditional christmas favorite for you today. These cookies have many names, Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies, Snowball Cookies, Pecan Snowball Cookies, Snowdrop Cookies, but they’re really just little balls of pecan yumminess!
Pecan snowballs were always my dad’s favorite Christmas cookie. He could eat a whole batch on his own. I remember the look on his face when I’d go to grab one from the paper plate on the kitchen counter that was covered in wrinkled, tattered tin foil (because he’d been in and out of them a zillion times already)! It was a look like, “hey tine, are you sure you want to do that?” with a hint of a smile on the corners of his lips. “And yes, Dad, I’m sure!” I’d grab a cookie, maybe even two, one in each hand, and watch him shake his head in disbelief that I, his precious daughter, would steal HIS Christmas cookies! It was always a running joke in our family that my mom made them ‘just’ for him!
This is our family recipe for Pecan Snowball Cookies that has been around as long as I can remember. And it’s the best! The ingredient list is simple, yet the cookies are delicious! A little crunchy, buttery, nutty, and slightly sweet from the powdered sugar. they are completely addicting!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 heaping TBS of powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Add flour and mix until crumbly.
- Pour in vanilla and water and stir until smooth.
- Fold in pecans.
- Spoon dough and roll into balls the size of dates and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cool, roll cookies in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Ready for a freebie?
Let's get organized! Share your email and receive a free daily planning page printable to help design your days!