What’s the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner? Well, these homemade sloppy joes of course!
It’s finally getting to be fall here in Arizona (it’s under 100 degrees, which is absolutely fall weather, haha) and to me that means soul food and home cooking!
One of my favorite things to fix on busy weeknights are these homemade sloppy joes (yes, from scratch – gasp!). And as you know, I’m big on one-pan meals, so the fact that this can be easily made in one pan and in less than 30 minutes is positively perfect!
I was never really a huge fan of the canned sauce or powdered sloppy joes (especially as a kid, I thought sloppy joes were gross), but once I started making homemade sloppy joes, we all fell in love!
Sometimes we splurge and have white whole wheat buns or cornbread, sometimes not, but either way, this is a tasty, good old-fashioned and easy dinner every time!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook onion, carrots, and celery util tender.
- Add meat and brown.
- Drain fat from pan.
- Stir in garlic and cook until meat is fully cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Pour in tomato sauce, honey, dijon mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, and spices.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
- Spoon meat onto lightly toasted buns or over cornbread and enjoy!
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Try this easy and healthy one-pan chicken and veggies too!