Heathy beef stew in the Crock-Pot is the perfect way to kick off the fall season and it pairs perfectly with a Saturday afternoon of putting up gorgeous fall decorations, don’t ya think?
After talking about it for a week, I spent a good part of the day last Saturday cooking this thick and chunky healthy beef stew and digging out all of my fall decor. Woo! I couldn’t wait another second and yes, you guessed it, I was in heaven! For me, fall is the start of the holiday season! My season!
When it comes to fall here in Arizona…wait, fall in Arizona? No, we don’t really have fall; we have pretend fall. It’s still almost 100 degrees outside and since most of our plants are evergreen, nothing looks a whole lot different. In fact, the grass looks even greener in the wintertime. Go figure.
So, as you can guess, it takes some real effort to ‘get in the spirit’ around here. Never-fear though, I am a holiday master! I. Got. This. In my opinion, the absolute best way to create a fall mood is to cook fall food. In the Crock-Pot. All day long. The smell alone makes it really feel like fall. It works like a charm!
One of our favorite fall recipes is this healthy beef stew. It’s probably one of the best ways I use beef in my Crock-Pot. Seriously, it’s so easy and so, so good. After letting all the ingredients stew in the Crock-Pot for several hours, you’ll end up with a full of flavor hearty beef stew that’s loaded with veggies, potatoes, and of course, beef. It’s de-licious!
And while we’re talking about beef; just in case you’re anything like me and you need a little help with the cuts of meat or finding a lean cut, I found this great resource for the cuts of beef that you must check out! I visit it at least once a week now, haha!
The Arizona Beef Council represents the ranchers and beef producers that call Arizona home. I am so happy to honor them and their hard work by offering them the respect and admiration they deserve, and of course, eating their yummy beef in this healthy beef stew!
Arizona Beef has tons of useful information on their website, make sure to stop by and say hi!
And now for that recipe…
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds chuck beef, cut into cubes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef stock or beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce or fresh tomato puree
- 2 tsp honey
- 4-5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 TBS olive oil
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- Remove beef from package and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dredge beef in flour, shaking off any extra.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add beef (in batches if needed to not crowd the pan) and cook for 2-3 minutes. Beef does not need to be fully cooked, just browned on both sides.
- Add all ingredients to Crock-Pot, including beef and juices from the pan, and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve garnished with chopped parsley and grated carrot if desired.
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Try the classic chili in the Crock-Pot too, it’s the perfect traditional chili!
Ready for a freebie?
Let's get organized! Share your email and receive a free daily planning page printable to help design your days!