Is there anything that says
Christmas more than a gingersnap cookie? No. I don’t think so either. Want to hear something crazy? When I was a kid, I never ate these cookies; they just sounded or looked or smelled weird and I was completely unadventurous, so I never even bothered to try them. What a shame, right?
Turns out, I love ginger and gingersnaps and any and all cookies, so once I finally tried them (when i was able to make them myself as an adult – insert shocked face here), I fell in love. And to think, I missed out on years of delicious cookies! Not a christmas goes by in this house without gingersnap cookies anymore; I’ve added these traditional crispy and chewy cookies to my yearly list.
My favorite thing about these gingersnap cookies in particular is the texture. They are soft and chewy on the inside, but the edges are crispy. and since you roll them in sugar, the outside has a little snap to it too. They are not the super hard and crunchy kind of gingersnap cookie (like the gingerbread men you can buy in the store), these are so, so much better! If you’re a gingersnap fan, you’ve got to try these!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in egg, molasses, and vanilla.
- Add spices, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- Slowly add flour and mix until fully incorporated.
- Spoon dough and roll into balls, roll in sugar, and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze.
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Sign up for the holiday email list and freebies, so you don’t miss anything. And don’t forget to follow my christmas cookie pinterest board, it’s full of holiday goodies!