These sugar cookies make for perfect easy Halloween cookies! All you need is 30 minutes and some colored sugar for sprinkling!
This week completely got away from me. The girls are just over halfway of their 2 week long fall break and it has absolutely flown by. We’ve been busy running errands and doing all sorts of things around the house. Mad and I have made time to bake something almost every single day though. She’s really turned into quite the baker!
We’ve baked several batches of cookies and a giant loaf of banana bread! When I asked her to pick her favorite recipe we’ve baked this week, she chose these easy Halloween cookies and I can’t say that I blame her. Don’t tell anyone, but this is actually my very favorite recipe for sugar cookies. They taste amazing! They’re warm, and sweet, and buttery with a perfectly crisp edge. I’m seriously. These cookies are to-die-for!
Oh and guess what? There’s no rolling or cookie cutters required for this recipe!
This is a great recipe to do with kids; I put Mad in charge of the stirring and I just added the ingredients in the correct order. Then we scooped them out together and she sprinkled them with sugar. She chose a combination of all the Halloween colors we had in the house, of course, so we used black, purple, and orange! Super duper festive!
From start to finish, we whipped up these easy halloween cookies in about 30 minutes (minus cooling time), so they would be perfect for anytime you need homemade cookies and you’re running short on time! We made our cookies 1 TBS size and ended up with a couple of dozen, but if you used a bigger scoop (say 3 TBS), you could make about 16 really big cookies!
These easy Halloween cookies could very easily become easy Christmas cookies, easy Valentine’s Day cookies, easy 4th of July cookies…see where I’m going with it? You’ll love them!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Colored sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg and egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, half at a time, and mix well.
- Scoop dough and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until just barely browning around the edges.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Need more cookies in your life? See all the cookies!
Ready for a freebie?
Let's get organized! Share your email and receive a free daily planning page printable to help design your days!