Guess what friends? It’s September 22nd, and you know what that means? It’s the FIRST DAY OF FALL! Woohoo! And in honor of the start of MY favorite seasons (fall through the New Year), I have the most delicious classic chili recipe for you today!
Some days I’m really motivated and have a grocery list and dinner plan in place by 9:00 a.m. and other days…I don’t. I just throw things in the Crock-Pot and hope for the best. I’m not going to tell you which one occurs more often, but I’ll let you take your best guess (wink!). One of my favorite easy meals that never disappoints (or gets biffed up) is this classic chili (and cornbread)!
There are a few things I always start chili with and that would be crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chili powder and then I just add to that based on what I have in the house. Sometimes we get beef, sometimes turkey, sometimes bell peppers, and sometimes kidney beans, but no matter what I throw in, the most delicious, filling, warm, savory meal comes out! That’s the beauty of chili!
When I sat down to actually write out a chili recipe though, I had to really think about it; how much of this, how much of that? I had to pay attention to what I was doing. I finally decided I’d better start at the very beginning with a classic chili recipe. This is the one I use most often anyway, because it’s my favorite; you know I’m a traditionalist!
So I finally got it together and here it is, a wholesome and filling classic chili recipe that comes out perfect every single time! You can get creative with it and throw in something fun like bell peppers, sweet potatoes, Tabasco, or even sausage! And don’t forget the cornbread on the side! I’m feeling chili inspired now, what are your favorite chili recipes?
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans of chili beans in sauce
- 1-1/2 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat olive oil, cook beef, onion, and garlic until brown and cooked thoroughly.
- In crock pot add, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and chili beans.
- Add cooked meat and onion and mix well.
- Stir in vinegar, honey, spices, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, green onion, or cornbread (get my cornbread recipe here).
© Kristine in between. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words or link back to this post.
Try this healthy beef stew in the Crock-Pot too, it’s hearty and delicious!